Make sure to follow these steps exactly:
- Go to the Social Security Administration website and create an account if you don't already have one
- Log in using your SSA user name and password
- Click on the Earnings Record tab at the top of your Social Security account page — do not click on the XML link or either of the PDF links (to either download or save the report)
- Select and copy the entire page — everything on the page needs to be highlighted in blue
- Paste it into the field on the Import screen
- Click the Import button, which will appear after you paste your earnings data.
Make sure you click on the Earnings Record tab at the top of the screen and not on the XML link or one of the PDF links to download/save or print. Also make sure to highlight and copy the entire page — it won't work if everything on the page isn't highlighted in blue.
You can use these keys to:
- Select: Control-a on PCs or Command-a on Macs
- Copy: Control-c on PCs or Command-c on Macs
- Paste: Control-v on PCs or Command-v on Macs
If you've clicked on the Earnings Record tab on the top of the screen and not one of the other links, most problems result from not correctly selecting the data. Once you have copied your data into the box, you can scroll to the top of the text box and make sure you see your name near the top. You should see all the text from the SSA page in the box and near the top it should say something like:
my Social Security
If you do not see this near the top of the text you pasted, make sure you're following the instructions exactly.